Monday 13 August 2007

Cello a go go!

On Friday I went 'cello shopping! Not that I have anywhere near enough saved to buy a nice 'cello, I just thought I should see what to expect for my approximated budget (which I'm setting at £2000). So I hopped on the bus to London, and headed over to JP Guivier & Co, probably one of the more famous string dealers in the world. Anyway, I rang the doorbell, and the first thing that happened is I fell in love with the girl who answered (Well not really, but she was hot). After explaining my situation, she led me upstairs ( ;) hehe) and said that I could try any 'cello in the room if I wanted, but she'd also pick a few in my price range. She picked two for me, and left me in there, on my own, to play.

The first 'cello I tried was valued at £2,500, was hand built and was relatively modern. As I drew the shop bow across the strings (the bow had a £250 price tag on it!), I'm pretty certain my jaw dropped and I fell in love for the second time that day. It sounded wonderful, one hundred times better than my stringed piece of wood. Instantly, I was reassured that the frustration with tone I'm currently experiencing is not my fault at all. Anywhere I played, it sounded glorious. So warm and rich, the overtones were fantastic and it resonated so well.

I tried a second 'cello after (carefully) laying this one down, but it was a £1000 cheaper and not nearly as nice sounding. And I had my heart set on the first one I played. They always have 'cellos by that particular luthier in stock (Henri De Lille I think) so I was assured when I have saved, I will be able to buy one. Just for kicks, I tried the £12,000 19th century Dutch Cello sitting in the corner. For some reason it didn't sound as nice as the De Lille I just played, but that was probably just my technique.

:D :D. I can't wait. I seriously hope I have the willpower to save that much. And I'll get to see that girl again. :P


Peace.

2 comments:

CelloGirl said...

I love cello shopping! They let you take it home and try it too. I tried many cellos for about a year and a half before I finally picked one. Beware: it's a addictive!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I'd love to go cello shopping, but I keep telling myself it needs to be a reward for some kind of progress milestone. I hope you get to buy a lovely cello soon. And how 'bout asking that cello shop chick out for a date?