Saturday 16 June 2007

Not enough practice time.

Finally got round to picking up the 'Cello again today, even if it was only for an hour. Didn't really get much done, except a few scales, and arpeggios to limber me up. I'm having a lot of trouble with the Eb Major scale, and D minor, both two octaves. I know exactly what to do, but as far as intonation is concerned, it's not happening. It's important as well, because the first Bach prelude has a few extensions and troublesome (for me) shifts. Either way I'm still slogging through Bach. My bowing is troubling me as I'm playing every phrase nearly entirely slurred (which is how I like it), but I know this is incorrect. The intonation is fine, but I notice I go ever so slightly out of tune without noticing, and am promptly reminded upon playing an open string. Anyway. It' s late. I gotta be up in 6 hours.

1 comment:

CelloGirl said...

When I first started the cello, I was obsessed with how my intonation was not there. My teacher told me that intonation develops with muscle memory...the only way to get it consistently is with regular practice throughout life. Somehow that made me feel better...